Skilled Tooth Extractions in Nutley
At Nutley Oral Surgery, we are a team of experienced professional devoted to providing you with exceptional services. Our oral surgeons, Dr. Steven Bogart, Dr. Hubert Gugala, and Dr. Camille Marquis, have a wealth of knowledge in performing bone and soft tissue surgeries and tooth extractions.
We proudly serve Nutley, Montclair, Clifton, and Passaic families with the personalized care you deserve. If you need and extraction and have been referred to us by your general dentist, we are happy to provide a positive, relaxing experience and relieve your pain. Contact us today and schedule your visit!
CALL US: (973) 661-6200 REQUEST APPOINTMENT
Reasons for Tooth Extraction
If you have persistent dental pain or overcrowded teeth, you might need an extraction procedure. Dr. Gugala will do all he can to save your natural teeth. However, in certain situations, extraction is the best option.
Some of the reasons for extractions include:
- An impacted wisdom tooth
- Overcrowded teeth that do not fit in the jaw
- A broken tooth that cannot be restored
- Significant decay that can't be repaired
- Advanced periodontitis caused weakened jawbone and loose teeth
- To create room for a dental implant, dentures, or orthodontic treatment
- A baby tooth blocking an incoming adult tooth
Types of Dental Extractions We Perform
There are two main methods of extraction. Our talented oral surgeon performs both.
Simple Extractions – This method is usually used when the affected tooth is fully visible and not broken. First, we loosen the tooth with an instrument called an elevator. Then, forceps are used for the final removal.
Surgical Extraction – Surgery becomes essential when the tooth is broken or hasn’t erupted yet. During this procedure, we make a tiny incision into the gum to extract the impacted tooth or the broken fragment.
What to Expect During Your Extraction Procedure
Thanks to the latest dental technology and local anesthesia, most extractions are relatively quick and easy, and the recovery period is short.
Before we recommend extraction, our dental team will perform an in-depth assessment of your oral health and the affected tooth. We begin by taking digital images and x-rays to determine if extraction is necessary. Dr. Gugala will discuss your condition, recommend the best course of treatment, and answers all your questions.
If you qualify for an extraction, here is what you can expect:
- Numbing the Tooth - It is not uncommon to feel anxious before an extraction. That’s why we share all the information about the process before the treatment begins. We often use a mild local anesthetic to keep you comfortable.
- The Extraction - A tooth is usually held firmly in the jawbone by a ligament. Dr. Gugala starts the process by widening the tooth socket. Once the tooth is loosened in the socket and the ligament is stretched, it is easy to remove.
- Closing the Space - Once we extract the tooth, Dr. Gugala will need to close the socket. Closing the space involves removing any unneeded tissue, compressing the socket, washing it out, and using gauze to ensure the area stays clean.
- Finishing Up the Procedure - Once the extraction is done, and the space is closed, we will review your after care instructions. We will let you know what to expect, and how to reduce the risk of infection.
Extraction Recovery Tips
In addition to instructions specific to your case, general recovery tips include:
- Use a cold compress or prescribed medication to control any swelling or pain
- Do not brush, floss, or chew near the treatment area during the first few days
- Avoid rinsing the mouth, using a straw, or spitting for the first 24 hours so a proper blood clot can form
- Limit your physical activity in order not to dislodge the clot
- Avoid smoking as it increases the chances of developing an infection
- During the first few days, keep your head in an elevated position while sleeping to prevent any bleeding.
- We recommend you only eat soft foods and rinse your mouth with salt water.
Providing Gentle Extractions in Nutley
Nutley Oral Surgery strives to provide you with a safe and welcoming environment. We give you individualized attention and consider you a family member. Visit our Nutley practice and experience the welcoming atmosphere we offer. Get in touch with us today and schedule your visit.
CALL US: (973) 661-6200 REQUEST APPOINTMENT